Vitamin K at Lowest Prices
What is Vitamin K?
Vitamin K is a fat soluble vitamin, most commonly known for its roles in blood clotting. These proteins involved in the regulation of blood clotting are essential nutrients necessary for responding to injuries. In addition, by assisting to the transport of calcium throughout the body, vitamin K also plays a role in bone health, preventing illness such as osteoporosis.
What Forms Are Available?
There are 3 forms:
- K1 or phylloquinone, the natural version of K1 and phytonadione, the synthetic type of K1
- K2 or menaquinone
- K3 or menaphthone or menadione
Vitamin K1 and K2 available in North America for supplemental and medicinal use. Vitamin K1 is generally the preferred form because it works faster, is stronger, and works better for certain conditions. Adults and children who eat a balanced diet do not need supplementation. People who may benefit from supplemental use are babies (who usually get a shot at birth) and those with digestive diseases.It is abundant in green tea, leafy greens, such as Swiss chard, kale, parsley and spinach, broccoli and cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, liver, soybean oil and wheat bran. Fermented dairy, including yogurt, cheeses, and fermented soy including miso and natto, provide K2, which is especially helpful in increasing bone density and reducing the risk of fractures.
What Are The Uses?
- Preventing bleeding problems in newborns with low level.
- Treating and preventing bleeding problems in people with low levels of the blood clotting protein prothrombin.
- Vitamin K2 is taken to treat osteoporosis and bone loss caused by steroids, as well as to lower total cholesterol in people on dialysis.
What Are The Signs of a Deficiency?
Deficiencies, although rare, do happen. Symptoms include easy bruising, gastrointestinal bleeding, excessive menstrual bleeding and blood in the urine. Those most at risk for a deficiency include people with chronic malnutrition, those with alcohol dependency, and anyone with health conditions that limit absorption of dietary vitamins.
- Healthy Origins Vitamin K2 as MK7, 100 mcg, 180 Veggie Softgels$24.99Manufacturer: Healthy Origins