How To Make A Pre Workout Stack
Pre workouts can be the key to having a great workout, over an okay workout. But what if there was a way to amplify the good feeling ? Well there is! These products are like pre workout add-ons. The pre workout itself is effective but when you add in these products, you can take your pre workout stack and workout to the next level.
The Pre Workout
The first step in making a great pre workout stack, is to have a pre workout (or make your own). Pre workouts come in all different kind of flavors and potencies, so it’s important to find one that will benefit from stacking. In general, when we review a pre workout we go over 3 categories; Energy, Focus, and Pump. With this in mind, you can help navigate what you want to add. Think of creating a perfect stack like a ratio. Figure out which category your pre workout lacks in and add accordingly to get to 100%.
- In general we do not recommend to stack stimulants on top of stimulants. So it’s important to find a pre workout you like with enough stimulants to keep you going through the workout.
- If your go-to pre workout just happens to be a non-stimulant pre workout, consider adding in a stimulant like caffeine, yohimbine, or B-12.
- Also don’t forget to get a good pre workout meal/snack in for some more energy and easy protein.
Focus products have a larger selection of products to chose from. With larger options, comes the big question of “Does it actually work?” This is a hard question to answer because while some products work exceedingly well for some people, they aren’t guaranteed to work everyone. However there are a few products that have good reputation and could make a great addition to your pre workout stack.
- Acetyl L – Carnitine (ALCAR)- ALCAR has been shown to improve concentration and mental focus. It does so by increasing oxygen uptake in the brain which improves memory, focus and overall mental performance.
- Dimethylethanolamine (DMAE)- DMAE appears to allow more acetylcholine in the brain which in turn improves the brain’s ability to concentrate and retain information for longer periods of time.
- L – Theanine– The combination of L- Theanine with caffeine has been shown to improve alertness and focus with improvements in depth and quality of thinking.
- L-Tyrosine– L-Tyrosine is commonly used to improve learning, memory, and alertness.
Pump products are a great addition to almost every pre workout. Essentially a pump product is going to promote blood flow or increase hydration in cells. The later is commonly refereed to as cell volumizers. By increasing hydration in your cells you may retain more water, so it’s important to stay hydrated to avoid being bloated.
- There are a ton of non-stimulant pre workout/pump products that have everything you could want so you don’t have to mix it yourself. Here are some of our favorites:
- Prefer pills or tablets?
- If you rather add in individual ingredients, here are some of the best products for increasing blood flow:
- For cell volumizers:
There’s more to pre workouts than the energy, focus, and pump complexes. We also love products that can help us push out a few extra reps, or sprint through a jog. These products “buffer” away lactic acid which help prevent the “burn”, so you can keep pressing on.
- Beta Alanine Powder
- Creatine Monohydrate
- AllMax Citrulline Malate
- BCAAs (won’t buffer away lactic acid, but can be helpful for fasted training sessions)
And if you don’t want to think about which products goes well with which pre workout, you don’t have to! We already have a few stacks listed.
The intention of the information above is for reference only. While we attempt to keep our information accurate, we cannot guarantee it is an accurate representation of the latest formulation of the product. If you have any concerns, please visit the vendors web site. The information above are the views of the product’s manufacturer, not the views of Same Day Supplements. The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or illness.